Our research objective is to develop polymeric drug delivery systems (DDSs) that can efficiently deliver anticancer drug to cancer cells. Polymers used for these DDSs are biocompatible and biodegradable. DDSs can be prepared in millimeter, nanometer and molecular scale. For the millimeter scale, the research aim is to develop intratumoral implantations that can be injected directly insides tumors.
Anticancer drugs that are kept inside will release and kill cancer cells. For the nanoscale, we develop magnetic nanoparticles that can be detected by MRI once injected inside the body. Not only to visualize cancer cells in vivo but these nanoparticles can also selectively deliver anticancer drugs to these cancer cells. For the molecular scale, anticancer drugs are chemically conjugated to each polymer chain to enhance the cancer cell uptake and reduce the side effects of these drugs.
BioNEDD lab comprises of the following Facility and Technology.
- Polymer synthesis and Characterization
- Ring opening polymerization of Lactide, e-Caprolactone, Glycolide
Polymer = PLGA, PLEC, PEG-b-PLA, PEG-b-PCL, PLGC, PLA, PCL
- Anionic polymerization of ethylene oxide
Polymer = Functionalized PEG
- ATRP of styrene and methacrylate
Polymer = mPEG-b-PS, mPEG-b-PMA
- Different kinds of Drug delivery system fabrication
- Polymer implants: Compression heat molding
- Microspheres: Homogenizer, centrifuge
- Micelles, nanoparticles: Probe sonicator
- Drug release study setup
- Orbital incubator shaker
- Cell culture facility
- Cell line: PC-3, U-87MG, L929, THLE-3, HuCCT1
- Laminar flow hood
- Fluorescence microscope
- Sterilization equipment
- Bacterial strain
- Escherichia coli (E.coli)
- Pseudomonas sp.
- Staphylococcus epididermis (S. epididermdis)
- Staphylococcus aureus (S.aureus)
- Dip coater machine
- Spary coater machine
- Tensile testing machine
- Standard Cleanroom
- Class 100000
- Class 10000
- Class 1000
Moreover, locating just opposite to Salaya Central Instrument facility, BioNEDD members can access a lot of instruments including HPLC, UPLC, LC-MS, AA, ATR-FTIR, High speed centrifuge, Micropalte reader, Fluoresence microscope, etc.
This makes BioNEDD lab to be the perfect lab to conduct a good quality research.